Hurry Up And Worry!

"Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own."

~Matthew 6:34

I used to often feel like I was jogging through my day.  I had too many meetings.  I had too many responsibilities. I had things I was worrying about from yesterday, things I was worrying about that day, and I was already worrying about things that were on my calendar for tomorrow and next week and next month!  And what happens when you're always in a rush and distracted? You wind up making mistakes.  You miss things.  You wind up spending unnecessary time fixing something you messed up because you weren't focused on what you were doing. 

I think the most powerful idea in this verse is the idea that today already has its quota of worry built into it.  Focus on where you're at!  Focus on what you're doing right now!  Focus on what you can control!

You can't change what happened in the past.  Move on from that.  And worrying today about what may or may not happen tomorrow is foolish, too! Focus on what you can fix! 

I used to have trouble sleeping sometimes.  One night at about 3 A.M. I finally got up--my head was just spinning with things I was worried about that were ruining my ability to sleep.  I made a list of everything I'd been thinking about for hours that night as I laid awake.  And guess what?  Almost all the things I'd been thinking about that had been keeping me awake all night were things I had absolutely no control over at all!

I finally got it!  What I'd been doing is worrying about things I couldn't control instead of praying about those things.  

There's things we can do.  There are things we can't do.  There's nothing God can't do however.  So why wouldn't you give God the things you can't fix yourself?

~Todd E. Creason

Comments