Who Sets The Standard In Your Life?

"Set your minds on things that are above, not on things that are on earth."

Colossians 3:2

I heard a politician say this week, "I don't let my religious beliefs interfere with my decision making."  And while it's not my place to judge the faith of another, I have to wonder how a believer's beliefs could possibly NOT influence their decision making.  Isn't that the entire point of faith?  That we live a certain way and believe a certain way based on God's values?  Values that are very much in contrast with the fallen world we live in?

We see this a lot these days--this is a question often asked in confirmation hearings.  I think it's an inappropriate question myself, but it is commonly asked.  You could certainly never ask that question in the private sector when you're hiring an employee--there's laws that say you absolutely can not do that.  Why our elected officials feel it's appropriate to get into somebody's religious beliefs I have no answer for. 

So ask yourself this question.  Who sets the standard in your life?  God or society?  Can you be both a Christian and conform to the ways of the world?

Check your Bible on that question. 

~Todd E. Creason

Comments