Just One More Thing: Whose Approval Are You Chasing?
I have spent way too many hours
of my life worrying about what other people think. I've spent hours rewriting
text messages so they'd sound "just right." I've laughed at jokes
that weren't funny. There have been many
times in my life when I’ve remained silent because I didn’t want to be the fly
in the ointment.
Trying to please people feels
harmless. It feels polite, even. We want to get along, and sometimes that means
we go along. But trying to please people
can be sneaky, because for the sake of peace, we sometimes let things go we
shouldn’t. We don’t tell somebody the
truth when we’re asked because we don’t want to hurt their feelings. We don’t address a concern that needs to be
addressed because we don’t want to make anybody look bad. And we wind up in a place where we aren’t
being honest with ourselves, and we’re not being honest with other people.
The apostle Paul saw this
danger clearly, and he addressed it head-on in Galatians 1:10. Here's what he
wrote: "Am I now trying to win the
approval of human beings, or of God? Or am I trying to please people? If I were
still trying to please people, I would not be a servant of Christ."
Notice Paul gives us a clear
choice here. You don't get to choose
depending on the situation. You are either aiming your life at pleasing people,
or you are aiming your life at pleasing God. Paul doesn't frame this up like there's a choice. Because there isn't. It's one or the other. Now,
some of you might think, "Come on, I can do both things. I can please God
and still be liked by everybody." Sure, sometimes those two things line up
beautifully. But sooner or later, they will collide.
I deal with this a lot as a
pastor. Everybody has a different idea about what a pastor’s role is, and what
a pastor should be doing all the time.
And when I first became a pastor, I tried listening to all of these different
voices. As a result I was split in a
dozen different directions trying to serve all these different ideas about what
a pastor’s priorities should be. And I
nearly ran myself right into the ground.
And you know what? Even after all
that effort, I still had people who weren’t pleased with me.
And all that stress, and all
that confusion, and all that running around in circles went away when I asked a
few very simple questions. “Why did God
put me here? What did He give me to work
with? And how will I use what God has
given me?” It's that simple.
It’ll work the same way for
you. If your sense of worth, your
decisions, even your convictions are built on "what will people
think," you're building your house on shifting sand. Paul knew this trap
well. Before he met Christ, he was the poster child for pleasing the religious
crowd — zealous, applauded, respected. But all that human approval led him down
the wrong path. Paul understood better than anyone that chasing people's
approval can lead you dangerously far from where God wants you to be.
So here's your simple takeaway
for today: before you make your next decision — big or small — ask yourself
Paul's question. Am I doing this to please people, or to please God? It's a
quick gut-check, but it will save you a lot of grief.

Comments
Post a Comment