Learning To Deal With Life's Struggles

"So shall my word be that goes out from my mouth; it shall not return to me empty, but it shall accomplish that which I purpose, and shall succeed in the thing for which I sent it."

~Isaiah 55:11

My youngest daughter had to face a very harsh reality this week.  She had her feelings hurt in a very mean way.  She was excluded from an event that she never should have been excluded from, for very dubious reasons. She was never told about the event, but after the event, it was splashed up on social media where the participants had to know she would see it, or my wife and I would see it and be upset that we were left out.  I think Valerie and I were as upset over it as she was.

I knew I was going to write about this, but I've been struggling with how I was going to write about it.  I've been upset for several days.  It's not the first time, and we've accepted the fact it won't be the last time. It's been an ongoing struggle for many years. Valerie and I were the intended targets, not Katie.  This group is always so intent on trying to hurt Valerie and I, they don't even see the unintended consequences to their actions. We've learned to accept that these things are going to continue to happen and there's little we can do to stop it. So we overlook it, and forgive it--and we pray that one day these individuals will realize what they're doing is wrong and reconcile with us.

It's more difficult to manage these kinds of conflicts as parents when your child gets caught up in the crossfire. Valerie and I talked to Katie a lot about this situation.  We've tried to explain why it happens so often.  And while struggling with our own feelings on the matter, we try and teach her how to deal with it--how to forgive them for it and move on.

Valerie and I were unsure how we'd done. Last night while I was reading, I suddenly realized how quiet the house was.  None of the typical music and laughter coming from Katie's room.  I peeked in, and what I saw made my entire week.  Katie was reading her Bible and writing some scriptures down that she thought were applicable to the situation we'd all gone through this week. 

Now I'm sure you didn't know this, but as Katie informed me, all the answers to life's problems are contained in the Holy Bible if you only look for them.  It'll tell you about all kinds of things you're going to have to deal with, and how you should respond as a Christian. 

I had no idea.  Did you?

I've been a father for thirty years, and sometimes I think I learn more from my kids than they've ever learned from me.

~TEC

Comments