Tuesday, April 11, 2017

Sometimes Facebook Makes Me Sad


It's not the first time I've had to take a break from Facebook.  I've had to do so a few times before.  Sometimes I think about dropping it for good.  It makes me sad sometimes--between the whining, the yelling, the bragging, and the lecturing, I'm not sure what I'm getting out of it anymore. 

So I'm taking a breather from social media for awhile.  I've got some writing to do anyway, and don't need the distractions.  But I have a few things to say to the folks on Facebook--a little advice that maybe will improve the quality of your life.

I'm sorry your candidate lost.

Sometimes you win, and sometimes you lose, but you've got to get over it.  In America, we hold elections, and the candidate that wins the election gets the job.  The rules are established in advance, and that's just how it works.  The last thing we want is for our elected officials to fail in their duties--nobody wins there.  So stop complaining about it, and learn to deal with it.  If you're not happy with the choices, then get off your butt and get involved in the process.  Knock on doors, raise money, help candidates get elected that share your values.  If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.  Complaining on Facebook solves nothing, and being nasty and spiteful towards people who don't agree with your views is called intolerance.

I'm sorry you got behind an idiot on your way to work this morning.

Do what I've been doing for the last thirty years.  Get up earlier, and leave the house earlier.  While you're out honking and making rude gestures as you try frantically and get to work on time, I'm sitting at my desk sipping a cup of coffee and enjoying some quiet time before I ease into my day.  You know how many times I've been late to work in three decades?  Zero.  Not once.  Why you make it so hard on yourself?

Get a grip.

I had to unfriend somebody last week, somebody I've known since I was a kid because she was offended by a meme on my Facebook page, and attacked me.  It was embarrassing . . . for her.  She got so nasty, I took the entire post down.  Not the first time I've had to do that.  It was a funny meme.  It wasn't mean spirited, or offensive in any way.  It wasn't in bad taste, it wasn't even political . . . it was just something I shared because I thought it was funny.  And it was.  There were fifty or sixty people that liked it . . . and then there was her.  She took it literally, and lost her mind.  The thing with humor, folks, is that it's almost always making fun of something.  The reason we enjoy humor, is that it gives us an opportunity to laugh at ourselves. This culture we live in that is so offended all the time is the reason Saturday Night Live isn't funny anymore.  This is the reason comedians won't book college campuses anymore.  There are too many people out there that are offended by everything.  It must be exhausting to be so upset about so many things ALL THE TIME!  I can't imagine . . .

So I'm taking a little break.  I do this when Facebook starts to make me question the future of the human race.

~Todd E. Creason

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...