Thursday, March 16, 2017

My Lent Challenge: The New Testament


"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life."

John 3:16

During Lent I always try and do something to try and improve myself.  I usually try and work on a bad habit I have--patience has always been a challenge for me.  Still is, but I get better at it as I go along.  This year, I decided instead of trying to stop doing something, I'd start doing something instead.  I've always been a Bible reader, but I've never been intentional about it.  I'll open it up, and start reading, and then I'll just drift from looking up reference to reference on a particular topic until I've read long enough.  

I decided this year to read the New Testament all the way through--not necessarily in chapter order, but each chapter in full.  It's not a long volume.  I'm nearly finished, and although I'd consider myself fairly well versed in the New Testament, reading it all the way through has been an interesting exercise.  It's put it in a different perspective for me, and I've made a lot of notes to go back and study further different sections after I've finished.  There are things I picked up that I hadn't before. 

So try it!  You can read through the New Testament in roughly 12 hours.  Many of the chapters you can read in fifteen minutes or less.  As I have, you might find some new things in there you hadn't noticed before.  And in my experience, anything that gives you pause to think is usually a good thing.

~Todd E. Creason

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...