Tuesday, January 3, 2017

2017: Getting Back To Study

Here we are in 2017, and we have a brand new year in front of us--a blank slate full of possibility and potential.  I'm not much for resolutions.  What I like to do at the end of the year is look back over the last twelve months and figure out what I did right, and what I could have done better.  Let's just say I was very distracted the last half of 2016, and didn't get a lot accomplished.  There were two reasons: 

On the positive side, it was a pretty good year for me--it was a pretty good year for all Chicago Cubs fans.  I still have a very difficult time believing that the Cubs won the World Series.  Over the holidays I had the opportunity to watch that final game again, and it elicited the same strong emotions it did the first time.  It just doesn't get much better than that.  It's something I'd always hoped I'd see, and now that I have, I still don't believe it. 

On the down side, I spent too much time following current events--mostly my lifelong obsession with American politics.  It's an affliction that many historians suffer from.  Many Americans had this same addiction over the course of the last 18 months or so.  Time to put it behind us and move on.  I hope we never have another Presidential election like that one.  As far as the results go--what a stunner!  Just like with the Chicago Cubs, nobody saw that one coming, did they?  Everybody was wrong!  And no, I don't necessarily believe Donald Trump is going to make America great again, but on the other hand, I don't believe the world is going to end at his hands either.  Like with every President who came previously, I believe some things will get better, some things won't change, and some things will get worse.  That's America.  Perhaps we can come together again and focus on the things we all have in common rather than yelling and screaming about where we don't agree. 

This year, I'm going to get back to my usual routine.  Instead of watching so much baseball and so much news coverage, I'm going to spend my spare time reading and writing.  I've decided to expand my usual reading topics this year and explore some new topics.  I'm working my way through an interesting book now on the golden age of piracy.  Argh!  The facts are certainly a lot different than the fiction.  I'm also going to cut out some of the time I spend on social media.  Spend more time creating content rather than wasting time looking at it. 

I've said it before, and I believe it.  The internet should be viewed as a tool.  Too many people view it as a world.  It's not.  The world is out here.  And in 2017, I'm going to spend a little more time out here. 

Happy New Year!

~Todd E. Creason


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...