Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Finding The Time

"Lost time is never found again."

~Benjamin Franklin

For decades I've been known as a die hard Chicago Cubs fan, so nobody was more thrilled that I was when they made it to the play-offs.  Of course I watched all the games--they were the only games I watched all year.  I'm not sure I watched any last year at all.  That would have been unthinkable a decade ago.  I'm not the fanatic I once was anymore.  You see, about ten years ago, I realized how much time I was spending watching baseball, listening to baseball, reading about baseball, and going to baseball games.  I balanced that against how much I still wanted to accomplish in life.  It wasn't easy, but I decided to invest my time on things I thought were more important.

In the ten years since I made that decision, I joined a Masonic Lodge, I've written six books, hundreds of articles, published in almost any Masonic publication you could name, and have received a fair number of awards and accolades.  My wife and I even had a child!  Not to mention serving as Master of my Lodge, then Secretary, and helping to start two new Masonic groups--the Illini High Twelve and most recently a new Royal Arch Chapter . . . Admiration Chapter U.D.  Even with all that going on, I've still have more time for my family and friends, and am a lot more focused on the things that are important to me.  My life is completely different now because I made one decision--to adopt an "all things in moderation" philosophy.

Time is something you can't replace.  Ben Franklin knew that.  He also said, "Do you love life?  Then don't waste time, because time is life!"  We have only one shot at life, and sometimes you have to look at how you're spending it.  Ask yourself what you're getting out of those activities that you so freely invest your time.  Are you getting a return on that investment, or is it habit?  Is it enriching your life, or just temporary entertainment?  When you get to the end of your days, you're going to wish you had more time. Perhaps now is a good time to address that.

~Todd E. Creason

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...