Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Old Dogs And New Tricks


Over the weekend I attended the Masonic Society's Quarry Project in Indianapolis.  On Saturday morning, I gave a talk about Masonic blogging.  I'm not a great speaker, but it went pretty well.  It was my first opportunity to talk about something I'm pretty proud of--the Midnight Freemasons.

It's hard to believe that ten years ago I was terrified of public speaking.  In fact, that's why I started writing my books, and started blogging--so I could share the things I was learning about Freemasonry from the safety of my study.  I've always preferred to be a "behind the scenes" guy.  It wasn't long before I realized that if I wanted people to read my books I was going to have to get out there and talk about them.  I still get nervous doing it, but I've grown a lot more comfortable with it.  In fact, so comfortable, I often get asked to officiate weddings!  

One of the many great strengths of Masonry is that it gives us opportunities to try new things--get out of that comfort zone and learn some new skills.  I've certainly benefited greatly from the Fraternity.  I've learned to stand up and talk in front of a group, which is something I never thought I'd do.  It's one thing I'm able to point at and say "I couldn't do that before."  I've had some good instruction from my friends in the Scottish Rite, and some patient audiences as I've been working on improving that skill. 

But that's one thing Freemasonry instills in its members--that desire to continue improving yourself.  It's a lifelong quest.  And as Masons work on improving themselves, they become better husbands, fathers, employees, and leaders--and that is how you build a better world.  You build it one man at a time.

~Todd E. Creason

2 comments:

  1. You xid a great job. Thanks for being one of our presenters.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...