Saturday, August 15, 2015

Through The Freemason's Lens

Greg Knott doing what he does . . .
Back in February, fellow Midnight Freemason Greg Knott and I took a trip to Washington D.C. to attend Masonic Week.  When we weren't attending conference events, we were all over the city.  In fact, less than an hour after we hit the ground, we were watching the changing of the guard at Arlington National Cemetery--we walked more than ten miles that first day, and every day we were there was just like that.

Todd E. Creason doing what he does . . .
You see, there was another reason for that visit other than to just attend Masonic Week.  Greg is a frequent visitor to our nation's capital, but I hadn't been for a long time.  He's had an idea for a book for a long time.  He's a photographer.  He's taken thousands and thousands and thousands of photographs, and the vast majority of them are related in one way or another to Freemasonry.  He had a great story to tell, he just wasn't sure how to go about telling it.

Greg and I enjoyed a private tour of the World War II Memorial
So he recruited me to help him with it, and off we go to Washington D.C. so he can walk me around these locations he's visited, so that I can see the same things he's seen, and hopefully be able to find that thread that turns this huge idea into a narrative.  I had my doubts about it--I'm a writer and a storyteller.  I don't know the first thing about telling a story using both words and photographs.    There's a big difference between people who communicate through pictures, and those who communicate through the written word (as we very quickly discovered).  But somewhere between Arlington, the Holocaust Museum, the Vietnam Wall, and my visit with Mr. Lincoln I suddenly saw it.  I saw the same thing Greg did.  He was right.  He would have never been able to explain it--he had to show me.
House of the Temple, Washington, D.C.
And so we've been working on it.  I think one day when I look back, this is going to wind up being one of my favorite projects--because it's been the most challenging.  They say a picture tells a thousand words, and so many of Greg's photographs are stunning.  It means I don't have to describe anything in the accompanying narrative--that's a very different concept for me.  I can just whittle all those extra words and focus on the message alone.  The meaning.  That amazing story that Greg Knott has been thinking about for a long, long time.

As we get closer to wrapping this up, we'll keep you updated.  Stay tuned.

~TEC

1 comment:

  1. I can't wait. I know the book will be great. I met Greg for the first time at Masonic Week a few years ago and, despite him being a pretty quiet guy, I quickly recognized his talent and dedication to Freemasonry. I knew within an hour of meeting him that I wanted him to serve on The Masonic Society board during my term as President and he's lived up to my expectations and much more. I was glad to finally meet you back in February as I was introduced to your work through Greg and had been enjoying your writing for awhile. Best of luck with this book and I look forward to seeing you in a few weeks.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...