Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Getting Back To The Things That Matter

Going to be a long day--that's William J. Hussey in black and Sean McBride in red.
"Of course we have world famous author Todd E. Creason here today!  His books are in the Smithsonian.  They use them as doorstops in the men's room."

~William J. Hussey
MEGHP of Illinois
6/27/15

Back in May I said I was going to make a decision about what to do with this blog in the next few days.  Here it is July and I haven't done a thing with it.  Like so many things in my life lately, I didn't get to it.  It's because I have too many projects going.  In fact, my good friend William J. Hussey has been calling me the "George Jones of Freemasonry" this last year because I skip out on events far too often.

There's only so many hours in the day, and not nearly enough hours to do all the things I've promised I'm going to do.  So I've spent a little time this last week pondering this problem and what to do about it.  In fact it was William J. Hussey (aka the Most Excellent Grand High Priest of Illinois) that gave me that answer on Saturday when we attended an event together.  It was a very long event, and when it came time for Bill Hussey to get up and make a few remarks, it was only minutes before the room was filled with laughter.  It was a much needed break.

First thing Hussey did as MEGHP--try to take my dues card!
One thing he always says when he speaks is that we often forget one of the most important aspects of Freemasonry--fun!  It made me realize I'm so busy in my free time being a Freemason, that I'm not having as much fun doing it as I used to.  And sadly, this lack of fun has slowly sapped some of the enthusiasm I've had for the Fraternity.  I realized it was time to get back to basics--back to the things that are important.

So when I got home, I pulled out my calendar, and I slashed and burned.  It's time to get back to the things I really enjoy about Freemasonry.  That's being an active member of my two Lodges.  That's enjoying the Scottish Rite reunions spring and fall.  That's spending time with my friends in Lodge meetings.  And that's writing (and writing, and writing, and writing) about this fantastic thing I'm involved in--Freemasonry.

So this blog is going to be focused on the lighter side.  It will be a little less research based, and a lot more personal perspective.  And don't worry, you'll still find me regularly on the Midnight Freemasons blog as well.

So as I always say to my family when we get in the car . . . here we go on another one of our adventures!

~Todd E. Creason

4 comments:

  1. Looks great! I will definitely follow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bill! It's good to be back! This is going to be fun. I'll publish the lighter pieces here, and the more serious pieces on the Midnight Freemasons.

      Delete
  2. I've felt the same recently. My zeal has lessened. I even tried to write a story about it as the 50 Year member but I couldn't finish it because I couldn't come up with a solution.

    I went to a district meeting a few months back and the entire evening was devoted to "If the candidate has a deformity fill out this form, if this happens fill out this form" I wanted to walk out. How does filing out forms make a good man better? Above all this is a club. I fill out enough forms at work I don't want to pay out dues for red tape.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand--that kind of where I was. I've got a lot of people disappointed in me right now because I had to bail on a number of things. But I'd lost complete track of what it was about this Fraternity that got me so enthusiastic in the beginning.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...