Thursday, February 5, 2015

Freemason Or Not? My Original Wish List

As a Cub fan, I sure would have loved to learn Harry Caray was a Brother . . . but he's not.
When I began putting together my first volume of Famous American Freemasons back in 2006, I began to assemble a list of men I knew were Freemasons, along with a few I hoped were Freemasons.  In many cases those men I'd hoped were Freemasons really were--a good example of that would be Clark Gable.  I'd hoped to find either Lewis or Clark on that list--imagine how pleased I was to find they were both on the list!  But there were a few I'd hoped to find that just weren't Freemasons. 

Here's a short list of a few I was disappointed not to discover were members of the Craft.  
Freemason?  Well, I, uh, well um, you see, uh . . .
Jimmy Stewart: I was sorely disappointed when researching my book to learn that Jimmy Stewart was not a Freemason.  He's somebody I really wanted to profile.  One of the greatest and most beloved of Hollywood's leading actors--that would have been a great chapter.  You just don't run into very many people that don't love Jimmy Stewart. 
Was there a Fez in Dutch's closet . . . I'm afraid not.
Ronald Reagan:  Another of my disappointments.  A great communicator, he brought America back after a long recession.  He renewed our belief in America, and just about every survey done since he left office show that the majority of Americans rate him as one of the top five Presidents in American history.  Yes, I know he was an honorary Mason . . . save your breath.  That doesn't qualify him sadly.

Clint Eastwood:  Yeah, I looked and looked.  Not a Mason.  That would have been very cool to discover Clint was a Freemason for obvious reasons.  

Louis Armstrong:  How I'd hope to discover that Satchmo was a Freemason.  One of the most iconic musicians of the 20th century, he's a man I would have genuinely enjoyed profiling in my book.  As a former trumpet player, he was a performer I looked up to.  He is frequently listed as a member of Montgomery Lodge No. 18 in New York, however, there has never been such a Lodge.  In his autobiography, Armstrong only mentioned being a member of the Knights of Pythias, which is not a Masonic organization, and is probably what has lead to the confusion over the years. 

Walt Disney:  If anyone, through his great creativity and vision, has done a better job at making the world a better place, I can't imagine who it would be.  He has brought joy and happiness to millions and millions of children and adults.  I had Walt Disney on my list originally, and I wrote a chapter on him for my first book, only to discover later that the information I had was wrong.  Walt Disney was not a Mason (many lists still have that wrong).  Walt was a member of Demolay, a Masonic youth organization, but he never became a Mason.  Too bad.  Great American, and fine man.

So these were a few names I didn't find during my research, however, it's not as if I lacked for famous Freemasons.  I could write ten volumes of Famous American Freemasons and never cover them all.  As I've said many times before, our Fraternity has always had knack for attracting industrious men. 

~Todd E. Creason

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...