Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Fat Tuesday

"We have all the light we need, we just need to put it into practice."

~Albert Pike

I've always liked the idea of Lent.  Lent is not observed in my religious practice the same as it is in others, although I've observed it in my own way.  I believe it's good practice to set a certain time aside each year to work on yourself and your relationship with God.  It's a time of the year when I work on replacing bad habits with good ones, spend a little more time reading and reflecting on the Bible (I usually buy a devotional to study), and I spend more time appreciating the things I have, and giving back to those who have less.  One thing I've found particularly useful is keeping a notebook.  Each night before I go to sleep I record in that little notebook all the things I received that day, all the things I gave to others that day, and all the things I was appreciative of that day. 

I keep it positive, because I find when I spend time beating myself up over the things I've done wrong, I don't see the things I did right as clearly.  And when I do focus on the positive, I find it changes my expectation for the day ahead--I wake each morning looking to receive, looking to give, and looking for things to appreciate around me.  And that's a pretty good way to go through life.  I find as Easter approaches my lists get longer--I record more things I receive, more things I give, and more things I appreciate and am thankful for.  That's because I'm looking for them.  I find them, because I expect to.

As Freemasons we're always supposed to be working on that rough ashlar, and if your a Christian, this is a very good time of the year for self-reflection and improvement. 

~TEC

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...