Thursday, December 18, 2014

Accuracy Does Matter . . .

Two famous world leaders shaking hands?  Obviously evidence they are Freemasons, right?

I may have inadvertently offended a few people earlier in the week with my blog post Finally The Evidence Abraham Lincoln Was A Freemason?  I got annoyed over the weekend with something I've been seeing more and more.  I shared my displeasure to the delight of many, and the consternation of a few.  Whether you like what I had to say or not, it doesn't change the truth in what I said.  Accuracy does matter!  I'm glad I was able to get a conversation started.  Basically, if you're going to claim to be an expert, or a Masonic scholar, or a researcher--be those things!  Be a good representative of Freemasonry and know what you're talking about before you speak! 

And lets not use the old "it was an opinion piece" cop-out--I've heard that a dozen times this week.  I doubt there are very many Freemasons out there that have written more opinion/perspective pieces on Freemasonry than I have over the years.  Even opinion pieces should be based on solid facts.  We're constantly answering for bad information put out maliciously by our detractors--it's worse when our own self-proclaimed "experts" do it. And to be perfectly honest, it's embarrassing. 

The goal of a Masonic researcher and writer should be to educate.  Freemasonry is complex and fascinating subject, and too many Masons know very little about the Fraternity they belong to.  That should be the goal of the researcher and writer--to bring those truths we've learned to others. 

I said yesterday I don't write book reviews anymore.  However, I do offer assistance--I always have.  I'm proud of the fact I've helped quite a few new researchers and writers, at least in some small degree, get started (for instance, visit The Midnight Freemasons).  I genuinely enjoy helping to develop interest in the subject of Freemasonry, and Research Lodges and Masonic research organizations are hungry for those passionate about researching and writing about the Craft.  It's a big tent, and there's more than enough room for everyone.  It's great to see the growing interest in Masonic education amongst Freemasons just in the last few years.  Lets make sure we do our due diligence and provide the best information. 

And for those of you who want advice, assistance, or input--all you have to do is ask.

~Todd E. Creason, 33°
webmaster@toddcreason.org

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...