Thursday, November 20, 2014

Freemason Wisdom: Mark Twain On Accomplishment

Samuel Clemens was a member of Polar Star Lodge No. 79 in St. Louis, MO
We all know that blowhard that never stops bragging about the things he does.  How much money he makes.  How important he is.  How much he donates to charity.  They are all over the internet.  He's the guy that spends more time talking about the volunteer work he does than he actually spends doing it. 

I grew up being taught that true charity was something you didn't brag about.  It was something that should be done quietly because it's not really about you.  I know.  It's a very strange concept in our social media "Look at me! Look at me!" culture.  Don't get me wrong.  It's one thing to bring attention to an important cause (I do that all the time), but it is quite another to use that cause to advertise what a wonderful person you are. 

But some people still get it. 

Every year around this time, we read about gold coins found in Salvation Army buckets.  We read about some anonymous secret Santa that gives away thousands of dollars, a hundred dollar bill at a time, to needy people.  We don't know who those people are because they don't do it for themselves, they do these things because it's something they believe in.

I think that's what I like about Freemasonry--the fact much of the work Freemasons do nobody ever sees.  That's the true spirit of giving--not that jerk that posts on his Facebook page, "Hope you all enjoyed the football game while I just spent three hours serving meals to the homeless."

If that's the future of our society . . . Lord, help us all.

~TEC

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...