Thursday, July 3, 2014

The Knot Head Part VI: The Cape Knot


A few months ago, I wrote a five part Knot Head series where I talked about different unique tie knots.  It proved to be a popular series, and since I published it, I've run across a few more interesting necktie knots--including the Cape Knot.
 
This is a great looking knot, and it will get noticed, and believe it or not, it isn't that difficult to do.  If you tried any of the knots I talked about before, you should be able to get this the first time.  And I really like knots like this one where you are using the small end of the tie to tie the knot.  It makes it a lot easier to get the length right.  There's nothing more frustrating that tying a really hard knot, and finally getting it to look perfect only to discover the fat end of the tie is hitting you well above the belly button.  I'm not ashamed to admit that on those occasions, I've found a vest is an essential part of a man's wardrobe, and covers all kinds of tie length issues you'll encounter.
Conventional wisdom recommends this knot be paired with wider mono-colored tie, however, as you can see from the photo above, it can work extremely well with bold patterns as well as long as the design is large enough.  I definitely wouldn't recommend a check or a plaid however. 

So have a little fun with it, and see what you come up with.  I think you'll find this one is easy to tie, looks great, and will soon become part of your tie knot repertoire.  And be sure and read the rest of this series if you missed it.  You can find all the posts in the Knot Head Series by clicking here

~TEC

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...