Saturday, April 12, 2014

The Spirit Of Giving

It seems to me we're living in an increasingly more narcissistic society every day.  You've got Facebook, and Twitter, and millions and millions of Americans every day are on there shouting, "Look at me! Look at me!"  And just about every day, I see somebody pronouncing on there just what a fine individual they are, because they just donated their time at an animal shelter, or wrote a big check to a charity, or "paid it forward" by doing some small act of kindness of a stranger.

Now I'll be the first one to promote a pancake breakfast at our Lodge, or try and get people to sign up for our Masonic Charity Trail Run, but when it comes to my personal giving, I'm a bit old fashioned perhaps.  I was taught to do my giving in private--what I do for others, the organizations I support, and the time I donate is private.  It's not about me, and if I'm doing those things to make myself look better, then I'm not doing them for the right reasons. 

Of course no charity is going to turn down help, regardless of the motive for doing so, but it feels so much better when you give your time and money selflessly.  I think you'll find if you do this for the right reasons, you'll be much more likely to do it more often, because instead of seeing it as a resume item, you're doing it out of a desire to make the world a better place in which to live.

~TEC

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...