Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Freemason Wisdom: Voltaire On Appreciation

"Appreciation is a wonderful thing: It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well."
 
~Voltaire
La Loge des Neuf Sœurs (The Lodge of Nine Sisters)
 
It's human nature to look at someone who is successful and be envious.  It's a far better thing to look at a person's success and try to learn something from it.  What qualities does he have that make him successful?  What skills does he possess that I could develop to a greater degree in myself?
 
I've always said that what I've gotten the most out of in Freemasonry are the lessons I've learned from the people that I've met since I joined.  We all have something in common--our Fraternity.  We all share common values.  But joining my Lodge gave me a real opportunity to see people for their strengths, and learn from them.  To meet men that were willing to take the time to teach me skills I didn't have, and made me, at times question some of my own attitudes about the world around me.
 
Take a little time to appreciate those around you.  Instead of being envious of what other people can do, or what others have achieved, just ask yourself from time to time--what is it that guy has that makes him so much better at that?  Better yet--ask him. 
 
And also remember to take a little time to teach others those skills you've mastered. 
 
~TEC
 
Todd E. Creason is an author and novelist whose work includes the award-winning non-fiction historical series Famous American Freemasons and the novels One Last Shot (2011) and A Shot After Midnight (2012). He's currently working on the third novel Shot to Hell which will be released in Spring 2014. You can contact Todd E. Creason at: webmaster@toddcreason.org

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...