Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Time: Either Use It Or Lose It

"Time lost is never found again."
 
~Benjamin Franklin

You probably hear it all the time.  I'd love to do that, but I just don't have time.  And I'll admit I do get annoyed when people say to me, "oh, I wish I had the time you do to write and pursue projects."  Believe it or not, God gave me the same 24 hours in a day he gave everyone else.  I just value it, and work hard not to waste it.  If I'm going to waste time, it's going to be wasted doing things I enjoy wasting time on.  I believe Ben Franklin also said something about time wasted doing things we really enjoy isn't really wasted.

Let me share one of my tricks with you--it's a little math, and I think you'll be surprised by it.

The average American puts 12,000 miles on their car every year.  That's about right for my wife, and I put on a little less than that on mine.  At 70 miles per hour lets say, it would take you about 171 hours to drive 12,000 miles.  That's 24 hours a day driving for seven days--every single year!

That's a lot of time in the car.  Lets break it down a little more. 

That's about 2 hours a day most of us spend in the car--based on a forty hour work week, that's a month of work.  That's a lot of time.

So what are you doing with all that time in your car--for most people, not much.  They listen to the radio or those who are expert commuters, maybe a book on tape.  They talk on the phone (unfortunately for other drivers).  But for the vast majority of people, the time spent behind the wheel is just wasted time. 

You know what I do?  I use that time practicing my ritual. Not long ago, I even learned to use my smartphone to make that time even more productive.  Instead of just practicing parts I'd already begun to learn, now I can actually learn them in the car as well.  I'll record a section I want to learn, and using the voice command I can safely listen to it back as many times as I need to as I'm putting it together and practicing it.  I couldn't even begin to guess the number of parts I've learned, rehearsed, and perfected in my car over the last several years--almost everything I currently know.  I learn a lot more in the summer, because I do the same thing while I'm mowing two or three hours a week.

Imagine what you could do if you had an extra month every year?  Well, if you're the average American, and you use that drivetime to your advantage, you'll soon discover you've been losing a month every year you didn't even know you had.

~TEC
Todd E. Creason is an author and novelist whose work includes the award-winning non-fiction historical series Famous American Freemasons and the novels One Last Shot (2011) and A Shot After Midnight (2012). He's currently working on the third novel Shot to Hell which will be released in Spring 2014. You can contact Todd E. Creason at: webmaster@toddcreason.org

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...