Saturday, November 2, 2013

Great Book: Freemasonry in Black and White by Charles M. Harper, Sr.

I not only enjoy writing books about Freemasonry, but I enjoy reading them as well--and I've met this guy!  Bro. Charles M. Harper, Sr. is a Mason from right here in Illinois.  And he's a very good writer.  We go back and forth on Facebook every once in awhile, but we finally met face-to-face, however briefly, a few weeks ago at the Grand Lodge of Illinois A.F. & A.M.'s Annual Convocation. 

I don't do this very often, and I never review books by request, but after getting into this truly remarkable book, I wanted to share it.  I've been meaning to read Freemasonry in Black and White for some time, and just got to it the other night.  I've always enjoyed Bro. Harper's writing--he writes for Living Stones Magazine so I've read some of his work previously

I haven't finished the book yet, but I'm several chapters in, and what I've read so far is wonderfully unique.  Bro. Harper doesn't offer up any Masonic secrets in this book, or go over the same ground that has been covered ad nauseum in any number of other books.  What he has done is told his own story, in his own way, from his own perspective.  You'll quickly discover in reading his story there's a lot of inspiration that can be taken from his experience and applied to your own journey . . . at least that's been my experience.  I'm looking forward to finishing it.  I'm hoping this is the first book of many.  Bro. Harper has a unique gift for telling stories in such a way as to make you really sit back and think.  There are books you remember long after you've read it, and I think for me, this is going to be one of those.

There is one rather harsh criticism I have for the book.  It's kept me up well beyond midnight two nights in a row--and my alarm goes off very early in the morning. 

Freemasonry in Black and White is available in both paperback and Kindle edition from Amazon. It's well worth the price of admission.  Don't buy one copy, buy two--donate one to your Lodge or Scottish Rite Valley Library.

There much more about the book and its author on the Charles M. Harper, Sr. website.  Be sure and check out that website.  You'll find some additional reviews, and some information about where you can go and meet Bro. Harper and hear him speak, and there are also links on the website if you'd like to buy a hardcover edition, or autographed copies.

~TEC

Todd E. Creason is an author and novelist whose work includes the award-winning non-fiction historical series Famous American Freemasons and the novels One Last Shot (2011) and A Shot After Midnight (2012). He's currently working on the third novel Shot to Hell which will be released in Spring 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...