Sunday, October 13, 2013

Ghost Writer: Todd's Most Frequently Stolen Blog Posts!

Beware of Blog Jokers!
It's almost always fun as a writer to see your words in print. I don't think you ever get tired of that. One of my favorite things is getting that package in the mail, and browsing through the very first copy of my newest book. It's a thrill I don't think I'll ever get tired of. I enjoy writing, and it's a great passion of mine. On top of a full time job, I average about twenty hours a week at the keyboard and sometimes a lot more than that.

What did I mean by "almost always" fun? Well, sometimes writers find their articles where they don't expect to find them. Sometimes with other people's name on them. That's not fun. That's aggravating. Writing is hard work, and having intellectual property stolen is just as painful as having somebody steal your wallet, or your watch. It's a violation.
 
I've had a number of issues with people borrowing my stuff over the years. I usually don't care as long as I'm given credit--just spell my name right. I like having my articles read, and when I see somebody has enjoyed it and shared it, it pleases me a great deal. I take it as a compliment when people share my work, and most people know that when you repost something you credit the writer. On the rare occasions somebody hasn't credited me, it's usually just an oversight. A simple email, and usually they immediately fix it and apologize. I have a very generous sharing policy, and I haven't had any serious problems ever.

Until recently. I had an issue late last week and over the weekend--the most blatant abuse I've ever seen. It definitely means a change to my sharing policy--sadly. But I usually look on the bright side. It did give me one hell of an idea!

Over the next few weeks I'm going to post a collection of articles and blogs from my massive archives that have been "borrowed" or "badly attributed" or just outright "stolen" over the years. It will be a "best of" series with an exciting dash of larceny thrown in.

So stay tuned! The first "Ghost Writer" installment will be up on Tuesday Morning. And it's not only one of my most popular blogs ever, but it's also the one that has been most often. . . uh, repurposed without permission?

~TEC

Todd E. Creason is an author and novelist whose work includes the award-winning non-fiction historical series Famous American Freemasons and the novels One Last Shot (2011) and A Shot After Midnight (2012). He's currently working on the third novel Shot to Hell which will be released in Spring 2014.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...