Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Finding The Good In People


We all know that person--the one that never has a nice thing to say about anybody.  They are always the first to criticize somebody else, and the first to share gossip they've heard.  They are always looking for that thing somebody has done wrong that they can point out to others.  And the people around them are usually polite about it, but they are almost always that person that you go out of your way to avoid.  And while they get some sense of satisfaction in that feeling of moral superiority they get in judging others, they are almost without exception, very unhappy people.

We're all locked in that day to day battle between doing the right thing, and doing the wrong thing.  I guess you could call it that age-old battle between good and evil.  I try and do the right things, but I don't think I've ever had a day where I've done everything right--when there isn't at least one thing I can look back on at the end of the day and wish I'd done a little better.  With me, it's usually something I've said that I wish I hadn't said, or wish I'd said in a different way.  Let's just say I was blessed with an abundance of blunt.  And I'm no different than anyone else--sometimes I just choose to do the wrong things.

It's really difficult for me to spend very much time focused on the flaws of others--mine alone are a full-time job.  I consider the fact I can recognize my own failures as a good things.  You can't fix something you refuse to see is broken.

Everyone has flaws, but it's up to us to look for the good in others, and not focus on what's lacking.  You're always going to find what you're looking for in others, and if you're always looking for bad, that's all you're ever going to see.  It's always better to look for the good in people--and with some people, that can be a real challenge to find.  But if you look hard enough, it's there.  I've never failed to find it yet.

~TEC

Todd E. Creason is an author and novelist whose work includes the award-winning non-fiction historical series Famous American Freemasons and the novels One Last Shot (2011) and A Shot After Midnight (2012). He's currently working on the third novel Shot to Hell which will be released in Spring 2014.

1 comment:

  1. What a great post brother. I am sharing this with my wife. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...