Wednesday, August 28, 2013

50 Years Ago Today: Martin Luther King's Dream

Delivered August 28, 1963 on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial.  Take a few moments today to reflect on these words, appreciate where we began, how far the Nation has come in fifty years, and the road ahead.

Originally I had printed the words to Martin Luther King's "I Have a Dream" speech in this space, however, one of the greatest speeches of the 20th Century is not free--it's copyrighted and the copyright is vigorously enforced by Reverend King's Estate.  I had to take it down.  I'm sorry, but licenses to use the speech can run media outlets into the thousands.  You'll have to use your imagination--or you can buy a copy of the speech for $20 from the King Center.  I'm not the only person that appreciates the irony of this--see the article in Washington Post

So I'm sorry I couldn't share his words here--perhaps one day that speech will be "free at last."

Todd E. Creason is an author and novelist whose work includes the award-winning non-fiction historical series Famous American Freemasons and the novels One Last Shot (2011) and A Shot After Midnight (2012). He's currently working on the third novel Shot to Hell which will be released in Spring 2014.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...