Tuesday, April 9, 2013

About Moon & Son Publishing Co.

I should be ready to relaunch the blog this Thursday, April 11th.  In the meantime, here's a little story (you can decide which parts are fiction and which are non-fiction) about the history of Moon & Son Publishing.  It will be a permanent page on the new blog.  Enjoy!  ~TEC


In the entire publishing industry, Moon & Son Publishing Company stands out as the largest publisher (in Fithian, Illinois although the Fithian Methodist Church Newsletter runs a close second).  It was originally established in Danville, Illinois in 1982 as Edward J. Moon Publishing and its primary purpose was to publish music I'd written along with a partner.  The name means absolutely nothing--we needed something to call ourselves, and after a few beers (probably Schlitz or Pabst Blue Ribbon we'd liberated from somebody's garage refrigerator) we thought that "Edward J. Moon" sounded cool.  We were still in high school at the time, but I must admit that I still think "Edward J. Moon" sounds cool.

Edward J. Moon Studios: The Early Years
In 1988, we went into recording, and built a small music recording studio in one of my spare bedrooms (and later, we leased a space).  We changed the name to Edward J. Moon Studios.  We did a lot of recording--much of what we recorded was our own music, but we also did demo tapes for local musicians, wrote a few radio jingles, and recorded a few music soundtracks for various video productions (which is why my old partner wishes to remain unnamed).

By 1994, our partnership dissolved.  We didn't get in a fight or anything, we just realized we were spending a lot of time at it and just breaking even. We decided to spend a little more time focused on careers and family.  I did a few projects here and there using the name Moon Publishing on the copyrights--that consisted mostly of writing advertising jingles and a few more video production soundtracks.  But by 1996, Moon Publishing had faded away into oblivion.

At least, that's what I thought . . .

In 2010, I wrote my first novel One Last Shot.  I knew one thing for certain--I didn't want to publish my fiction the same way I'd published my non-fiction previously.  After several frustrating experiences with agents and publishing companies, I decided to be my own publisher.  I didn't have a name for the publishing company, and hadn't really thought about it very much.  The only name I'd considered had been Twin Rivers Publishing--Twin Rivers is the fictional town in my novel.  But as fate would have it, I ran into my old recording partner for the first time in almost twenty years.  I told him what I was up to, and he said, "Let me guess, your publisher is Edward J. Moon?"

I hadn't thought about that name in years.  It was a heck of a thought.

Two minutes later, still standing there in the checkout of the Walmart with my old friend, I had the name of the publishing company.  I was going to go back to the original name--Edward J. Moon Publishing.  But my friend pointed out that Edward J. Moon had been in the business since 1982-- nearly 30 years!  Wouldn't he be about ready to retire?  As we stood there talking about an imaginary man as if we had lunch with him all the time, we decided that he'd probably been grooming someone to take over the business--his son most likely.  Moon & Son Publishing was born. 

Moon & Son's New Production Facility at Bikini Atoll
I had almost everything I needed.  I was the writer, and I already had an editor from the first three books--in fact, more than one editor. All I needed was a book cover designer, and a colophon (logo).   As it turns out, both of those were pretty easy to come by.

My good friend and Brother Master Mason, Ray Gordon, is a graphic designer, and he created the colophon for the company.  The moon in the logo is actually based on an old Masonic woodcut--Ray added my profile to it. 

One of the authors Moon & Son is talking to?*
I found my cover designer quite by accident--I was reading books at Barnes & Noble one Saturday, and I ran across a book with a cover I really liked.  I opened it, and on the copyright page, it said "cover design by Brion Sausser."  I looked him up on the internet, found he had a business called Book Creatives, and I called him.  A few weeks later, he sent me a few cover concepts, and the only part of it that was difficult, was choosing which one I liked the best.  He did a great job on both novels, and he'll be back on the next one as well.

In the last couple years, I've been asked to publish a few books that I didn't write.  In fact, there is one writer in particular that is interested in publishing with Moon & Son, and if we can work out the details, Moon & Son may very well move in that direction in the next few years.  

Oddly enough, we've come full circle.  Moon & Sons still operates out of one of my spare bedrooms--with the exception of our brand new production facility at Bikini Atoll.  I just don't get why real estate is so cheap there! 

Anyway, that is the long and almost completely true story of Moon & Son Publishing Company.
______________________
Todd E. Creason
CEO, CFO, Marketing Director, Distribution
PR, Shipping, Accounts Payable, Janitor 



*Stephen King is talking with Moon & Son?  Well, believe it or not, it's true.  I've talked to him several times.  He's starting to sound interested in some kind of legally binding document--I think he called it a restraining order? It sounds promising.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...