Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Oscar Wilde On Passion


"Every portrait that is painted with feeling is a portrait of the artist, not of the sitter."

~Oscar Wilde
Apollo University Lodge No. 357
Oxford, England

Oscar Wilde had a slightly different take on the old expression "art imitates life."  In his version art imitates the artist--and isn't that true in all things.  You can tell when somebody has a great passion for something, because of the energy he puts into it.  We've all noticed this at one time or another I'm sure, but have you thought about what kind of mark you're leaving on the world?

There was a Scottish Rite Degree I first viewed that weekend I joined.  There is a particular part in that degree that was portrayed by an actor that obviously loved the role a great deal.  It was difficulty to take your eyes off him--he wasn't playing a role that afternoon, he'd become the character.  He did a phenomenal job, as as a result that degree resonated with me.  I've seen that degree several times since, and it's still a good degree, but it's not as powerful with the actor that plays the role now--and it's simply because he doesn't bring the passion and feeling into the role his predecessor did.  Every time I see it, I remember how that lead role was done the first time I'd seen it, and I probably always will.

Think of those things you are truly passionate about--how could you use that energy to make an impact?

~TEC



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...