Thursday, October 18, 2012

Great Reads: Prince Of Thorns by Mark Lawrence

"Is revenge a science, or an art?"

I haven't had a lot of time for reading lately, but last weekend I was down with a bad cold, and picked up Mark Lawrence's debut novel Prince of Thorns.  A friend of mine had suggested it to me some time ago.  I don't read much fantasy fiction, but I thought I'd give it a shot, based on his enthusiastic recommendation.

To say this is a dark novel is putting it mildly.  Prince Honorous Jorg Ancrath wants revenge for his shattered childhood--stolen when his mother and brother were brutally slain.  To say he's a good guy isn't exactly accurate.  There really aren't good guys and bad guys in this novel as we typically know them--let's just say Jorg is less bad than the bad guys he's set out to destroy, and we come to understand how be became so damaged

Really solid novel, and a great read.  And unlike so many bloated and wordy fantasy novels (one of the reasons I don't read them often), this one is lean, mean, and short!  The best debut novel I've read in several year.  I would mention, however, that it is extremely violent.

There's little doubt in my mind I'll soon be giving King of Thorns a read--that's the second in what author Mark Lawrence sees as a trilogy.  

~TEC

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...